Bulimia is an eating disorder characterized by frequent episodes of binge eating then followed by efforts to avoid gaining weight by any means necessary. For example, a bulimic would eat large amount of food then they would feel guilty of the huge amount of calories they have just consumed. Feeling so guilty, they would try eliminating the food through purging, fasting, using laxatives, excessive exercising and crash diets. All this defines a bulimic. So what are the signs of binge eating, purging and the physical signs that a bulimic will exhibit.
- There is a lack of control when eating. They are unable to stop eating. They are usually eating large amount of food with no obvious change in weight. Furthermore, they may consume large amount of food in a short period of time.
- They are usually alternating between overeating and fasting. After a binge eating spree, they would feel guilty and spend the next day fasting.
- Going to a bathroom after meals. There will be vomit smell in the toilet after they have used it.
- They might be using laxatives, diuretics or enema. So check your medicine cabinet if any medications are missing. Or they are always frequently going to the pharmacy to purchase these medications
- Excessive exercising. They are always working strenuously just to lose the calories that they’ve consumed during their overeating binge.
- Discolored teeth from exposure to stomach acid. Their teeth might be yellow or ragged.
- Puffy chipmunk cheeks from repeated vomiting.
These are only a few of the signs and symptoms that you may see in a bulimic. If you do observe any changes in your loved ones, it might be time to seek professional help, before this problem escalates and becomes life threatening.